Friday, March 9, 2012

Carpenter's Square on the Design Board


 First four blocks.... I love this quilt and its geometric pattern. I like geo patterns and the movement they evoke.. The material I chose is "Morning Rush" by Carol Eldridge for Andover Fabrics. This coffee themed material in medium brown with coffee beans and coffee words is paired with the black with brown coffee words and coffee beans. The background is a white on white floral with lots of movement. The movement of the background complements the straight lines of the pattern. The floral is so subtle you sense it but it does not standout or take away from the starkness of the brown, black and words of the main fabrics. The pattern has set in seams in a couple of places which I do not mind at all. I love the ease of set in seams and the way they allow the seams to lay flat and smooth. I am so pleased with the results so far.


I had so much fun getting this quilt started by cutting the material.  Now all those strips are 1 1/2" so lots of cutting is involved in this pattern.  If I had read the pattern I would not have cut the 1 1/2" squares for the "units"...I would have striped pieced and then cut the unit tops.  But, with me going to the girls weekend of sewing, I did not take the time to dissect the pattern and do a rewrite to really make this a lot easier. Wine fixes that....the weekend with friends fixes that.....the laughter fixes that....doing it the hard way is always easy when a good time is had by all.


I am now working to finish the quilt and will post soon the quilt all sewed up and ready to wrap up in.






No comments:

Post a Comment